- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (seeds removed)
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 small tomato, chopped, plus more for topping
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 sour cream
- 1 15 oz can refried beans
- 4 10-inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese, plus more for topping
- Mexi-sauce (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 450. Melt butter with 2 Tbsp oil in skillet then transfer to bowl. Heat remaining 2 Tbsp oil in skillet. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno and cook until soft, about 3 mins.
- Add chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and 1 tsp salt; toast 30 seconds then add tomato and cilantro and cook until dry, 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and sour cream and warm through. Remove from heat.
- Brush rimmed baking sheet with some butter-oil mixture. Spread 2 Tbsp refried beans down centre of each tortilla leaving 2 inch border on both ends. Top with 1 cup chicken mixture and 1/4 cup cheese. Fold in ends and roll.
- Put chimichangas seam-side down on the baking sheet; brush with the butter-oil mixture. Bake 8-10 minutes per side, brushing again after you flip.
- Top with sauce, more cheese, lettuce and tomato. Serve with rice and remaining beans.
Saute 1/2 cup chopped onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves in a skillet with canola oil. Add a pinch each of chili powder, cumin, sugar and salt. Cook 30 seconds. Stir in two 4-ounce cans of chopped green chilies (drained and rinsed) and cook for another 2 minutes. Add 1 cup chicken broth and simmer until thickened, then puree. Stir in 1/4 cup chopped cilantro.