- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp sliced almonds, plus more for topping
- 6 Tbsp Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 Tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper or chipotle chili powder (optional)
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter 9-inch square side metal baking pan, then line with parchment paper leaving an overhand on all sides.
- Pulse flour, almonds, cocoa powder, cinnamon, salt (and pepper if using), in a food processor until almonds are finely ground.
- Beat the butter and granulated sugar in large bowl with mixer until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture and beat until just combined (dough will be crumbly).
- Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap and roll flat if desired.
- Prick the dough all over with a fork or pastry docker, then use a sharp knife to cut into 18 strips. Top with almonds, lightly pressing them in then sprinkle with raw sugar. Refrigerate until the dough is firm, about 10 minutes.
- Bake until the shortbread is slightly puffed and firm, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove pan from oven and retrace cuts. Cool completely then lift parchment to remove from pan. Snap bars apart. Will keep in airtight container for about 1 week.