I felt the recipes at the MLCC chef session were too complicated but this was an easy and delicious soup Chef Roger Wilton shared with Ciao Magazine readers back in November 2007.
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1? cubes
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup shredded Bothwell Smoked Gouda
- 1/2 cup 35% cream
- Preheat oven to 325F
- In a bowl, toss sweet potatoes with 2 Tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place potatoes in an even layer in roasting pan. Put in oven. Flip potatoes every 10 min until they turn deep brown.
- In a pot over medium heat, add remaining olive oil and onions. When onions are golden, add garlic and cook 2 min.
- Ad sweet potatoes and enough vegetable stock to cover potatoes. Bring liquid to boil then reduce heat to simmer for 30 min.
- Transfer liquid and potatoes into blender and puree until smooth. If puree is too thick add remaining vegetable stock.
- Place soup over medium low heat. Return to light simmer.
- Whisk in smoked Gouda until it is evenly melted throughout soup.
- Whisk in cream and allow to simmer for 5 min.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Optionally garnish with hot sauce.