- Boneless Roast – Rib End
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- ¼ pound bacon, cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeño, diced
- 2 Gala apples, diced
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup bourbon
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ brown sugar
- Heat oil in a large fry pan over medium high heat.
- Add bacon and cook until fat begins to render.
- Stir in onions and jalapeños and cook until onions begin to colour.
- Add apples, bourbon and brown sugar. Mix, reduce heat and simmer, covered through next step.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll cut the roast: Holding a carving or boning knife 1 inch from the cutting board, begin cutting into the roast horizontally, continuing to roll out and carve, until you’ve roll-cut the entire piece to a long sheet of meat. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add breadcrumbs to filling mix and blend until ingredients come together. Place in refrigerator to cool. (Note: if mix becomes too dry, add a knob of butter, or a splash of apple juice or white wine to moisten)
- In a small saucepan, combine bourbon, maple syrup and brown sugar. Heat, stirring, until sugar melts. Remove from heat & set aside
- Lay out roast, fresh cut side up, and spread cooled stuffing mixture evenly, leaving about 2 inches at one end.
- Roll roast into a cylinder and tie with butcher’s twine every 1-2 inches.
- Place on a roasting pan, seam side down, and re-insert pop-up thermometer.
- Brush with maple bourbon glaze and place in middle rack of oven. Baste with glaze again every 15-20 minutes (retaining some glaze towards the end) until pop-up thermometer triggers or instant read thermometer shows centre at 160 degrees.
- Remove roast to cutting board and tent with foil approximately 10 minutes.
- While meat rests, reheat remaining glaze, then slice roast thinly and drizzle with “jus.”
Serve with chipotle mashed potato or twice baked chipotle baked potato (shown) for a delightful play between sweet and heat.