- 8 oz. self-raising flour
- 2 oz. butter
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- ¼ pint buttermilk, full cream milk or soured milk
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Grease and flour a baking sheet.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl and rub in the butter. Add sufficient milk to make a moist and spongy dough.
- Turn out on to a floured surface and knead gently. Roll out to ½ inch thickness and cut into rounds with a 2 1/2 inch pastry cutter.
- Place on the baking sheet. Brush the tops with milk and bake for 8-10 minutes until risen and light golden in colour.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve split in half with cheese, or clotted cream and jam.
For rich scones add 1 beaten egg to the dry ingredients before adding sufficient milk. Brush the tops of the scones with beaten egg rather than with milk.