1 1/2 cups dried red lentils
3 medium onions, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 leeks, greens removed and whites chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
2 tsp salt
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tsp powdered sage
2 bay leaves
6 cups vegetable stock
1 tsp Marmite, dissolved in 1 cup warm water
- Rinse lentils and put in large bowl, covering with at least 4 inches
of cold water. Let stand for 1 hour. Meanwhile chop vegetables.
- In a large pot sauté onions, carrots, and leeks in oil and butter over
medium heat for 8-10 minutes adding 1 tsp of salt during cooking.
- Add the sweet potatoes and sautee 3-4 mins. Drain the lentils and add
to pot with sage and bag leaves, stirring thoroughly.
- Add the stock, Marmite solution and remaining tsp of salt. Simmer
partially covered stirring occasionally for 45-60 minutes or until
sweet potatoes and carrots are soft.
- Serve as is or for a thicker texture purée half the soup in a blender and combine.
Do you have a kick-ass recipe you’d like to share. Drop us a line.