The Village Fish Panko Breaded Pickerel
This recipe is Savour Winnipeg’s Tribute to the now defunct Village Fish and their delicious Panko Breaded Pickerel
- 1-2 cups canola oil (depending on pan size & depth)
- 1 cup flour
- tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs (available at Sobey’s or Safeway)
- 2-3 pounds fresh pickerel fillets*
- Pre-heat the oil over medium high heat in a large skillet
- Prepare a three stage breading station by blending the flour, pepper and salt in one shallow bowl, the eggs in another, and the panko bread crumbs in a third.
- Dredge your first pickerel fillets in the flour and shake off excess. Dip in egg wash and drain. Roll in the Panko until well-covered.
- Gently lower the fillets in the now heated oil so the end you’re holding falls away from you.
- Fry until golden brown on one side, turn and finish cooking on the other side.
Serve with tartar sauce and a wedge of lemon. Pair with starch of choice.
No comments yet.