A Scottish delicacy, you’ll find battered Mars bars in chippies all over the country. Oozing melted chocolate, nougat and caramel hides beneath a crispy casing of batter. They’re surprisingly delicious and unfortunately available in Winnipeg only at The Brit Cafe. Here’s how to make them at home.
- 1 unwrapped Mars bar, chilled
- 1 pair, disposable chopsticks
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup club soda, or dark beer
- 1L Canola Oil
- 2 Tbsp icing sugar
- Whipped cream
- Unwrap Mars bar and skewer with chopsticks (do not split the sticks).
- Chill the bar(s) in the fridge for at least an hour.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, corn flour and bicarbonate of soda.
- Add milk and stir until creamy.
- Heat oil in the deep saucepan, dutch oven or deep fryer.
- Coat the Mars bar in batter until it is completely covered.
- Carefully lower the coated Mars bar into the hot oil and fry until the coating is golden brown. (Don’t rely on the chopstick. A fryer basket or skimmer helps).
- Remove from oil and dust with icing sugar. Let cool slightly and serve with whipped cream..