Quick Turkey Pot Pie
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey breast
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup green peas (cooked or frozen)
- 1/2 cup boiled potatoes (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped celery (optional)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, optional
- 1 1/2 cups instant biscuit mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 stick melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a greased casserole dish, layer the chicken, eggs, carrots, peas and optional potato and celery.
- Mix the soup and chicken broth and season with salt and pepper, if desired, then pour over the layers.
- Stir together the biscuit mix and milk, and pour this over the casserole.
- Drizzle butter over the biscuit topping and bake until the topping is golden brown, approx 30 minutes.
Individual Turkey Pot Pies
1 package of frozen puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
2 cups leftover cooked turkey
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1/3 cup butter
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 small yellow onion, minced
1 cup peas, cooked
1 cup chopped cooked carrots
Pinch fresh grated nutmeg, optional
Special equipment: 4 (2-cup) individual baking dishes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Separate puff pastry into its constituent squares, then roll out to 1/4 inch thickness. Divide each sheet into 4 squares so you have eight in total.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and then slowly add flour, stirring until consistency of peanut butter, but not brown like a roux.
- Stir in cream until incorporated with flour, then chicken broth, garlic, and onion and stir until thickened.
- Add peas, carrots, optional nutmeg, and turkey. Remove from heat.
- Line individual oven-proof bowls with base layer of puff pastry, then add chicken mixture and top each with a puff pastry lid. Repeat until you have 4 identical bowls. Don’t worry about excess dough, you can either trim it off, or fold it around the the top.
- Brush lids with egg wash then bake for 15 minutes or until browned. Any remaining pie filling may be frozen.
TIP: If you prefer, bake in one large pie dish. Just roll out the puff pastry squares into two sheets and trim excess. Or you can use a pre-made pie crust and top with puff pastry.